Spring is in the air and vacation plans may not be far behind! Whether you are embarking on a weekend getaway or an extended trip, it’s critical that you make arrangements to ensure the safety of your new home in the MidTown Direct Area. Implement the following suggestions and enjoy increased peace of mind on your get-away!
- Befriend a neighbor. A formal Neighborhood Watch program may not be instituted on your block, but you are bound to have a neighbor willing to watch over your home while you are away. Request that they notify you or the police if something alarming occurs.
- Do not tell the world about your vacation plans until after they are complete. Your voice mail, Facebook, Twitter, & other social networking websites provide information to sources that may not be your “friend.” Do not leave notes on your front door, trashcans or mailbox, either.
- It’s always best when your home appears to be occupied while you are away. Timers and volunteer police patrols can be utilized, and newspapers and mail can be placed on hold, unless you have a large, locking mailbox. You could also ask a friend to visually check-in on your home.
- Try using a deadbolt or locking mechanism on your garage door while you are away for long periods of time and secure any pet entrances.
- Remember that a well-maintained and well-lit home with timed lights and motion detectors can be a deterrent, as can loud dogs. Please take note that if you have a pet, you will also need to plan for its care while vacationing.
When you return, be sure to begin all suspended services again. You will also want to thank those who watched over your new home so they will feel so inclined when your next vacation comes up.